If you are unsure about using a product don’t use it until you have checked its safety with a reliable source.
- About Herbs – Find out lots of information on specific herbs, botanicals and other products.
- Chamomile – Most people have heard about chamomile tea and its relaxing properties. It is also calming on the digestive symptoms and in many colic remedies. Kid’s Calm by Kiwiherb contains chamomile.
- Digestodoron Drops – Some have found this helpful. “Regulates digestive processes, helping e.g. chronic constipation or diarrhoea…”
- Iberogast – This has been found helpful in same cases of GORD. I think it needs to be obtained through a practitioner. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iberogast.
- Homeopathy – Lacks evidence http://www.nzdoctor.co.nz/un-
- Milk Supply – Blessed thistle, Nursing Tea.
- Osteopathy – http://osteopathiccare.org/osteopathy/osteopathy-for-children-infants/ Often not a complete cure, but useful in controlling gastric reflux in association with other management techniques. (I’ve linked to this page as it provides a good explanation of osteopathy and its usefulness.)
- Pseudoscience, Quackery and Unproven Testing Methods – Pseudoscience and Medical Quackery in New Zealand in relation to Allergy from the Auckland Allergy Clinic
- Rhuger – Is a natural rhubarb and ginger medication for the treatment of reflux and colic in babies.
- Slippery Elm – is meant to coat the gut and reduce inflammation as well as being nutritious. See http://www.mskcc.org/mskcc/html/69381.cfm.
- Weleda Baby Colic Powder – This is helpful for some infants and contains chamomile.
Written by Roslyn Ballantyne (RN), National Coordinator and Jennifer Howard (Dip. Nat. Therapies) National Coordinator 2001 – 2013 & Community Educator for © Crying Over Spilt Milk Gastric Reflux Support Network New Zealand for Parents of Infants and Children Charitable Trust 2004. Updated by Roslyn, September 2015.
Page may be printed/reproduced for the personal use of families, as long as copyright and URL are included. It may not be copied to another website/publication without permission and acknowledgement.